Yeah, those two guys can really lay into a groove and give it heft and weight.
They probably go through thrones like you and I go through sticks or snare heads.
Mr. A,
You said it better in two sentences than i did in five paragraphs [img]wink.gif[/img]
...so yeah, ditto what you said! [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]
Yeah, those two guys can really lay into a groove and give it heft and weight.
They probably go through thrones like you and I go through sticks or snare heads.
Yeah, the Blue Tav disc...the tune Tsunami, perhaps [if mem serves me on the song title]?
Rod Morg. with Dregs & Stv Morse Band.
1 tune in partic: Cruise Missile off SMB The Introduction, which Virg later covered on the Loose Change Live Grainstore release. It is based on the now-infamous Cob DB shuffle.
Yeah, it was Captured [live Smith solo].
Ditto Scott Travis & Deen.
Check Racer X Live Extreme Volume for a bad-axe ST chops-fest rock drum solo [pre-Virg, of course - fuhgittabowdit, Dazzo! [img]wink.gif[/img] ].
Deen on MacAlpine's Maximum Security. [Also, Cacaupohony & Wild Dogs, so I've heard]. He smoked some searyass arse when i saw him playg to tracks in clinic back in the very late 80s / early 90's.
Yep - Aldridge on the Travers Live '79 "Go For What You Know," w [Boom Boom-] Out Go the Lights.
Ditto Simon w the Beck [There & Back] - Space Boogie. Both Rod & Si credited Boomer Cob for their DB shuf.
Ditto VPaul, Hoglan, Agren, Haake, Jarz, Boz, GCollins, Roddy [got to hang briefly w him at a drum store - nice cat. He digs Wreckl, Vinnie, & Virg for shore, too. Duh, go figure [img]wink.gif[/img] ]. Good list, FlamT.
& yes, I have to give it to "Livin' Lar[ge]s" for the DB triplets [sextuplets] then snare in One.
"*Szhuggeda-szhuggeda-BAP! Szhuggeda-szhuggeda-BAP!*" [Was this pre-ProTools, BTW?!] [img]wink.gif[/img]
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 06, 2005 01:14 PM: Message edited by: fuseU1 ]</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">'BLUE TAV' !! Vinnie completely shreds on that cd, the man himself considers it to be some of his best recorded work !Originally posted by Flarobstix:
There's a Steve Tavaglione CD which I don't remember the name of where Vinnie plays the sickest dble bass I've ever heard. Nothing crazy fast, just tasteful and lot's 4 over 3 phrases. It's a brisk shuffle.
Anyone know the CD i'm talking about?
Of oldschool DB drummers I find Louie Bellson, Simon Phillips, Bobby Rondinelli and Mike Portnoy to be some of the best.
The new school of DB drummers were led at some point by Tim Alexander, but now guys like Marco Minnemann, Thomas Lang and ofcourse the maestro Virgil Donati are worth checking out. Virgil is lightyears beyond the others as far as imagination and execution goes.
Vinnie Colaiuta on Megadeth - The System has Failed !!!!!
Portnoy old school? (I never thought I'd live to hear that statement)
Hey Skunk,- I suspected that someone would notice that remark. I don't mean to disrespect him, but Even though he has done alot of doublebassdrumming, I honestly don't think that he MUSICALLY has done a great deal for the genre.
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 06, 2005 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Jeppe Morgenthaler ]</font>
Barrimore Barlow, with Jethro Tull,
on "Quiz Kids", from 'Too Old To Rock
and Roll'.
[img]cool.gif[/img]
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 06, 2005 06:09 PM: Message edited by: peter c ]</font>
Vinnie's playing on that Megadeth album is awful.
Too poppy, not metal enough. He can play wierd changes better than most, but that band had Gar Samuelson, Menza and other crazy drummers. He didn't take it out enough, like he can.
I was just listening to it today...bleh. Why did he decide to use that ride?
Bookmarks